From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of Aplfgcnys@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, December 11, 2007 12:24 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] No gardening?

It's good to see some Gardenchat activity.  I was feeling really
lonesome.
I keep hearing about all the bad weather, but so far we have just been
on
the edge of it.  We had about an inch of snow a week ago Sunday, and
the weather has stayed very overcast and gloomy and right around
freezing ever since.  I find this kind of weather terribly depressing.
SAD
is a problem anyway, and weather like this doesn't help.  Yesterday was
in the low 30s and drizzling here, but when we went to a meeting on the
other side of the county, people were saying they had ice storm
conditions.
  No gardening.  But I have tried to cheer myself up by doing holiday
cooking.  For many years I gave lots of home-made goodies at Christmas,
but a few years ago my conscience began to bother me about giving folks
stuff that really wasn't good for them.  I guess it was when I asked our

butcher for 5 pounds of chicken livers to make into pates, and he said
"do you realize how much cholesterol is in that?"  So I stopped making
the pates with garden scenes cut out of vegetables in aspic on the top -
pretty, but wicked.  And I stopped making the mushrooms with butter
and cream for sandwich spread or a sauce for steak.  But I still want to

give my friends something, and what's more, they expect it.  So for the
last few years I have just made cookies and candy.  This year, I burned
two batches of cookies - don't ask - so decided maybe I would give that
up, too.  Finally I have made six batches of the candy that most people
seem to like best - a brittle with chocolate and nut topping.  I figure
that
people will at least know that candy isn't good for them, and being
adults
can control their eating of it.  I hope.  Anyway, I have just used two
pounds
of butter, two pounds of walnuts, four bags of Nestles bitter-sweet
chocolate
chips, and two pounds of sugar.  I refuse to have a bad conscience about
it.  Auralie

In a message dated 12/11/2007 11:25:01 AM Eastern Standard Time,