RE: ice storms

In the 80's, we had a terrible ice storm here.  My husband had to go to
West TN for a funeral and tried to beat the storm that was moving over the
Cumberland Plateau.  Usually, he calls when delayed.  I spent a long night
worrying about him with news broadcasts about how many accidents there
were.  Emergency vehicles couldn't even get through.  Finally, around 7:00
a.m., he was able to call from a restaurant that was serving free coffee to
all travelers.  He had spent the night coming down off the Plateau inch by
inch (he had a large box of aquarium gravel in the car that he threw under
one of the wheels to gain traction).   Clearly, one of my most worrisome
nights and I know how you must have felt until you knew he was safe.