Re: Imagine this!

Yeah, they're both Annonas, but I've never seen or tasted a pawpaw, so I can't say how similar they are*. The sugar apple, also known as "sweetsop" in the Caribbean, is really lumpy [lobed] rather than scaly**. Each lobe is the exteror end of a segment that is quite like an orange segment, separated by thin membranes. And each segment has one seed. The seeds, as Kitty wrote, are black and shiny, about the size of watermelon seeds, but plumper. The seeds are also somewhat toxic--not exactly poisonous, but they'll give you the runs if you swallow them.

* Pawpaws, while native to the woodlands of most of the eastern US, are not native this far south. The University of Kentucky has a breeding program to develop this native fruit into a marketable crop. There are apparently two issues with the native fruit--one, the variation in quality is nearly equal to the variation in plants and, more importantly [from a marketing point of view], shelf-life is very short.

** There are lots of other Annonas grown in the subtropcs/tropics, some, such as the cherimoya, even turn up in Wal-Mart's produce section now and then. The cherimoya is scaly. Others, such as the custard apple and the [native] pond apple are also scaly. But the atemoya--a naturally occurring cross between the cherimoya and the sugar apple [and by far the most popular Annona in subtropical Florida]--is lobed like its sugar apple parent.

More than you wanted to know, I'm sure.