Re: Rascal Update

There is much to be said for the trying. Most of us will do just about anything for these gentle dependents that give us so much love. We nurture and are thereby nurtured. Bless you for giving Rascal what he needs.

neIN, Zone 5
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, December 26, 2007 6:11 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Rascal Update

I hope that the cardiologist will be able to recommend some meds. I doubt whether anything will be able to be done other than supportive care since his heart is enlarged. We will see.

The main reason for today's visit was that my vet wanted a second pair of eyes to rule out some other things and didn't have the equipment to do the ultrasound. There was a chance that something would be found that was fixable.

He doesn't seem to be in pain. He's still interested in life. He wasn't supposed to have any food today before they checked him out. We put the food out in the utility room at midnight. He found it this AM when Bill left the door open, and hopped up onto the washer to get it. When I brought him home, he nibbled some cat grass, had some food and then went onto the screened porch to watch birds. He's now napping.

As for my purse, I expect it will be another $500 tomorrow, as it was today. Just since Buddy died Labor Day weekend, I've spent every bit of my salary last semester as adjunct instructor at the local technical college. We've gone this far. In for a penny, in for a pound. I doubt whether surgery or other invasive treatment will be recommended. We'll eat lots of spaghetti, beans and soup as we did when we were newlyweds more than 35 years ago. We'll survive.

Oh, yeah - Dreyfuss is starting to act like he has another kidney infection, and it looks like a heron ate all of my fish. First time we've had a heron actually fishing in the almost 20 years since we installed that water garden. Must be the drought drying up every other source. The farm pond down the road has about a 3' puddle. It had water in it even in the severe droughts of the 80's.