To: "Garden Chat" <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Friday, December 28, 2007 5:36 PM
Subject: [CHAT] More sweetsops

A time ago I reported I'd found a couple of ripe sugar apples on our trees--not quite the same as sugar plums, but a nice yuletide present nonetheless.

Today, I had a tree guy out to give me a price for removing our big Hong-Kong orchid tree--we need to get a new homeowner's policy and the tree's too close to the house, sayth the inspector-agent person. And while I was escorting the tree guy around, I noticed five more sugar apples ready to pick.

This business with the homeowner's insurance has really put my nickers in a knot. State Farm raised our premium from less than $1,500 per year to nearly $4,500 per year--need I add that we've had a homeowner's policy with them for 20+ plus years without a claim of any kind?

Anyway, we've located a policy that will cost a tad less than did SF last year, but the orchid tree's gotta go. Oh, well. But, I suppose, finding the apples means it's not a complete loss.

We originally planted the orchid tree, which we raised from seed, to be a wind buffer on that side of the house. Since then, we planted a black sapote 20-25 feet farther out. The sapote is now big enough to take over the wind buffer role, and another 20-25 feet beyond the black sapote, are the bismarck palm twins--and they are really getting big and gorgeous--argent, the color of moonlight.

Happy New Year all.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.1 N, 82.4 W