Re: Benazir Bhutto

Since Pakistan was part of India at one time, it's probably part of the subcontinent, whatever that means.

On Dec 29, 2007, at 3:46 PM, Kitty wrote:

It's disputable, but I think it qualifies.

http://www.mapsofworld.com/pakistan/pakistan-location-world-map.html

The Eisenhower Doctrine, a 1957 foreign policy of the United States government, was the first to officially use the term Middle East. Secretary of State John Foster Dulles defined the Middle East as "the area lying between and including Libya on the west and Pakistan on the east and Turkey on the North and the Arabian peninsula to the south, plus the Sudan and Ethiopia." In 1958, the State Department explained that the terms "Near East" and "Middle East" were interchangeable, and defined the region as including only Egypt, Syria, Israel, Lebanon, Jordan, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Bahrain, and Qatar.

The Islamic Republic of Pakistan marks the area where South Asia converges with Southwest Asia and Central Asia.

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, December 29, 2007 3:33 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Benazir Bhutto

Does Pakistan qualify as "middle east"??

Cathy, west central IL, z5b

On Dec 29, 2007, at 12:36 PM, Bonnie Holmes wrote:

I agree.  However, she had been in exile for eight years and
persuaded to
current
President...seems like oil and water.  I really don't think we know
enough
about the Middle East to try this type of strategy.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.1 N, 82.4 W
Hardiness Zone 10