Re: where is everyone?

That's true. We took out the pine tree it was growing through & I'm afraid if I don't shape it now it will break in unsightly ways when the snow weighs it down. I need to reduce by at least half. I felt it would do less harm overall if I waited until it was dormant. ----- Original Message ----- From: <Aplfgcnys@aol.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2008 6:15 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] where is everyone?

Haven't been able to do any fall gardening to speak of.  Combination of
uncooperative weather, two big, time-consuming indexing jobs, a
long weekend visit from the Colorado son and wife, and just a lot of
other stuff.  I'm pretty frustrated - haven't even been able to put my
bulbs in.  The week before Thanksgiving, the temperature dropped
into the teens and we had a couple of days that didn't even get above
freezing, but it has moderated since, and we have even had a few
nights when it didn't freeze. Today it's 43 and very cloudy - will rain
and will probably snow tonight.
Before all this started, I did get my peonies cut down - I did it early
because the deer had already stripped them. This is the first time
ever that deer have eaten peonies.  What I must do as soon as I
have a few minutes is cut down the mass of Artemisia 'Powis
Castle' that filled the front bed. It was pretty magnificent this
summer, especially before the deer ate the handsome red Caladiums
that were growing up through the silver foliage, but now that it has
frozen it looks awful.  'Powis Castle' survives about one winter out
of three.  I guess it depends on the weather.
Judy, I know you are in a different climate, but here we would not
cut forsythia at this time of the year.  It would have already set buds
for next spring, and if we pruned it now there would be no bloom in
the spring.  Maybe it's different where you are.

In a message dated 12/4/2008 1:02:17 AM Eastern Standard Time,