To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2008 1:47 PM
Subject: RE: [CHAT] where is everyone?

Oh I have lots of mulch. All the spoiled hay and manure from our sheep
goes into the vegetable garden. So much of it that the garden area - at
least 100ft x 100ft - is almost six inches higher than the rest of the
yard. But when you get no rain from April through November, and daytime
temperatures are high (over 100 for July and August) you have to add
water. We know our water use in summer is mostly outside. The animals
have to drink, can't cut that back. The front yard needs to use less,
which I'm working on, but it isn't really an option to let it all die at
once. So that leaves the veggie garden. What would be cool is if I can
find some kind of pump to transfer the dirty water out of the animal
pens into the veggies, but so far everything I've looked at is either
electric (no electricity readily available) or really labor-intensive,
which I wouldn't do very often. Hmmm.

Cyndi