Re: where is everyone?

In my part of the world, no special detergents are needed. I assume that since you're in a dry part of the west that your base soils might be very alkaline, though I don't remember you mentioning it, or caliche. If so, since many detergents are basic, you may need to try something new, or just mitigate with an occasional watering. I would think, though I don't know for sure, that since you have a lot of organic matter breaking down, it might not be a problem. Your county Extension agent should know the answer. Since a lot of detergent is spun out during the first spin cycle, before the rinse cycle, it may not be necessary. I only use rinse water.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2008 4:35 PM
Subject: RE: [CHAT] where is everyone?

We might be able to hook up a greywater system to send water to the
front of the house, or to the fruit trees. Veggie garden is too far
away. I'd like to try it. My washing machine is right against an outside
wall, seems like we ought to be able to divert that without major
construction. Don't you have to use special detergents when you do that?
I liked the rainwater pillow too, I've fantasized about how we might
collect water in the rainy season. We don't get much rain of course but
if we could store just what runs off the roof it would help.
Things to think about...

Cyndi