Re: ISP woes

Comcast seems to have problems with old lines, but I've had Comcast service for years, and before that, Adelphia, the company that they bought. I just used a cable modem and a router. They've recently replaced the drops and the house lines, and the latest is that they think there's something with an amp someplace. I have the supervisor's personal phone number now so that I can call the next time it happens and he can get a crew out to track it down. (When it works, it is very, very good. When it doesn't, it leaves me with no phone and no internet service.

I wish you good luck with Quest. I've been told that once you've experienced good cable, DSL is like a snail.

----- Original Message ----- From: "james singer" <islandjim1@comcast.net>
To: "Garden Chat" <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 2:41 PM
Subject: [CHAT] ISP woes

I've had problems connecting to, and staying connected to, the internet ever since I got here. My sister's computer, which is not wifi enabled, was hard-wired to a Comcast modem. So the sensible thing seemed to be to swap out the Comcast modem for something called a "gateway," which turns out to be a unit that combines a modem with a router. My computer, which is about 30 feet down the hall from hers, is wifi enabled.

The result has been that sometimes I can connect and sometimes I can't. Comcast has sent techies out three times, the last one swapped out the gateway contraption. No improvement. I shipped my computer off to the regional Apple repair lab for diagnostics tests; they reported back--"everything works fine; no problem." No change, either.

Then I thought it might be my weather station, that the frequency it uses to communicate with the outdoor sensors was compromising the internet signal from the gateway. So I disabled the weather station. No change.

So today--nearly 8 months from the onset of all this aggravation--I gave up and called Quest. They will be here Monday to install a DSL line.