Re: ISP woes

I HATED comcast when I had them- super unrealiable and totally obnoxious when you called for help. Granted the ATT customer service also sucks, but at least their DSL consistently works. My DSL is not any faster or slower than the cable was. And I'm not even on the fastest DSL plan.
Works fine for me.,
Theresa

james singer wrote:
I've had problems connecting to, and staying connected to, the internet ever since I got here. My sister's computer, which is not wifi enabled, was hard-wired to a Comcast modem. So the sensible thing seemed to be to swap out the Comcast modem for something called a "gateway," which turns out to be a unit that combines a modem with a router. My computer, which is about 30 feet down the hall from hers, is wifi enabled.

The result has been that sometimes I can connect and sometimes I can't. Comcast has sent techies out three times, the last one swapped out the gateway contraption. No improvement. I shipped my computer off to the regional Apple repair lab for diagnostics tests; they reported back--"everything works fine; no problem." No change, either.

Then I thought it might be my weather station, that the frequency it uses to communicate with the outdoor sensors was compromising the internet signal from the gateway. So I disabled the weather station. No change.

So today--nearly 8 months from the onset of all this aggravation--I gave up and called Quest. They will be here Monday to install a DSL line.

Island Jim
Willamette Valley
44.99 N 123.04 W
Elevation 148'