RE: check in time

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: RE: check in time
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 07:52:53 -0800

Major snow storm (what passes for a major snowstorm here, anyway) on
Wednesday. We ended up with about 8 or 9 inches of snow, haven't seen
anything like it since the early 80s. They gave us the day off work
yesterday since the roads were too hazardous. We couldn't get out of the
driveway anyway without a lot of shoveling so it was just as well.
Bright and sunny yesterday and still not very cold. By 9:00 it was
coming off the trees in huge clumps, we stood out in the front and
watched for a while, very entertaining. A huge limb broke off one of our
pine trees but other than that we haven't noticed any damage - at least
not yet. There is still a lot on the ground and our dirt roads are this
awful mess of mud/snow soup.
My friend talked me into hiking our usual spot, and fool that I am, I
went. Now I know why snowshoes were invented. We did okay going up the
canyon since someone in an ATV had been up before us. But we slogged
through about a mile in maybe a foot of snow. I made her break the
trail! I was in jeans and hiking shoes (don't own any snow gear)
although I did wear my parka and earmuffs, came back soaking wet. Still,
the views were pretty nice.

Cyndi