Re: help needed!

I have a sod cutter/edger that looks like that
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Friday, December 19, 2008 6:48 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] help needed!

I remember a tool my father had (probably still has) that looked like a long handled hoe, but the metal part was not bent, it was straight. And it made
a dandy ice chopper (used standing up and chopping straight down) as I
recall.  No clue what it was called, but I can email him and ask if you
would like.

Donna,

There's nothing you can do for the vegetation that won't damage it further.

If the temps are close to 30, you can salt the driveway and let Ma Nature
take care of it. If it's much colder than that, salting won't work and will
only damage the vegetation.

We used to keep an old ice chisel (formerly used for ice fishing, when we
lived up north) to get under the ice back in the "bad old days" when your
type of ice storm was a common occurrence. Used like a shovel, it would
break up the ice enough so that during the middle of the day when the sun
was on the drive, we could make enough cuts to get the shovel under the
worst of the ice.

Otherwise, resignation is the best thing. The weather will do what it will do, and waiting is often the best answer. If you have power, heat and water,
consider yourself blessed.

d  (In Georgia - prime ice storm territory)

--
Pam Evans
Kemp TX