Re: Feral cats

Well, dang! I was afraid of that, but hopeful, since I was able to tame Diesel. I think some of these cats are relatives of E.T. and Diesel. E.T. had obviously had human contact before he was dumped. A few kind words and he melted and started following me around the garden like a puppy. Wish they could get through to them.

I guess I'll have to borrow a cat trap to get them in to the Feral Cat program of our local humane society. (Spay/neuter/rabies vaccination/release)

To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Friday, December 19, 2008 5:25 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Feral cats

Agreed. If they're 6 months old or younger, you might be able to tame them,
but if they're older - probably not.

If they are fully grown cats...not much luck of that happening.  It's
difficult enough to catch a feral kitten and tame it. We have a grown cat that hangs around our place. He/She is solid white. Scares the tar outta
me when I'm outside in the dark gathering eggs or feeding.  One time I
thought it was an owl up on a fence hiding around the shrubs...when I got
closer it jumped down and ran over me trying to get away.  Can't even get
close to the silly thing.  But it is smart enough to know where the food
be found, and smart enough to stay away from my big 'critter-chasing" dog. We have mice all over the place out here. They are attracted to the bowls of feed for the livestock. And because of that, we have lots of hawks and
owls that hang out waiting for a nice meal.  The cat is obviously
in the morsels too.