Advice-totally off topic

Because I value your opinions and experience, I would like some advice from
all of you great people.

For a couple of years now I have considered off and on possibly adopting or at
least fostering a child. ONE child. I know my limits and I do not think I
could handle more than one. Also, I am speaking of an older child. No babies.
If I wanted a baby I would have had one. Anyway-there are hundreds that need
homes just in S.C.

Recently, my consideration has taken a turn more towards a "I think I really
want to do this" attitude. I would like to have a family and I don't think
waiting around on a divorced man with children is the way to go about it.
Anyway-I've spoken with some close friends who have three adopted children and
they've given me some great advice, but I value your opinions as well.

At the moment I am not financially ready, even though I know the state helps.
They help to the tune of about $300 a month here which is nothing.

So, advice, opinions, experiences, etc. All would be welcome, good or bad,
yes, or no.

I am giving myself a year to get ready. Unless I change my mind and I don't
think I will, hopefully by this time next year I'll at least be fostering.

Cheers!