RE: Food dehydrators anybody?
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: RE: Food dehydrators anybody?
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 07:48:50 -0800

I have one, American Harvest I think, I use it mostly for drying
tomatoes. It works very well (although the fan is not exactly
whisper-quiet) and it's held up fine. I use it 3 or 4 times a year for
about 2 days straight at a time. This article
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/2003-06-01/Choosing-a-Food-Dehy
drator.aspx
is a pretty good review of the various models out there. If I were going
to buy one these days I would probably spring for the one with the fan
at the back, because you don't have to be rotating the trays every 8
hours or so. But that's not such a hardship; you need to be checking on
the food fairly often anyway, taking out the pieces that are done and
moving the pieces so they don't stick to the trays. I would also look
for one with solid-bottom trays that I could use for making fruit
leather.
I bought mine from the kitchen section of (I think) JC Penneys' about a
million years ago. I have no idea if places like WalMart or Target would
have them these days, although you'd think that Christmas would be a
great time to go looking with all the stores stuffed full of possible
gift items. If she can't find one local then she could always do
mail-order.

Cyndi