RE: No Snow
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: RE: No Snow
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 11:50:36 -0800

Little shreds. Which don't rot, not for years. This would be okay except
there is so much of it...I fill up the 3-cubic-yard dumpster about 4
times during the winter and I still don't get it all. I could mulch the
garden a foot deep every year I think, but of course since it doesn't
rot it would be buried in leaves the second year. If I piled it up for
compost then I'd have to water it and turn it to make it rot, and I
don't have the time.
The only place I have where mulch turns into soil is my vegetable
garden, the teahouse garden, and the parts where the roses are. I have
to water regularly there so it all decomposes the way it's supposed to.
The teahouse garden gets mulched naturally by all the pine trees
surrounding it. There are so many pine needles I have to brush them out
of the shrubs in there every few months or they get covered.
We also have a row of pine trees along the front fence, there are...20
trees maybe? In 150 feet or so? It's not an area I pay much attention
to. I have never raked under there. They were a lot smaller when we
moved in. I was looking the other day and realized there has to be 18
inches of pine needles banked up underneath those trees. That's got to
be a fire hazard. I think I can get husband to put the rake on the
tractor and drag out most of it, but then we'll have to get rid of it
somehow.
I should hire someone to build me a storage bin of some type out front,
I'll dump everything - horse poop, sheep poop, leaves, etc - in it and
advertise. "Future compost materials, you haul".  Then the county will
come after me for zoning violations, no doubt.
Really the whole thing is irritating. I live in the desert, I shouldn't
have to deal with leaves. But our house has these enormous trees that
add considerable value to the property, so they can't go. I have to
water enough for them to live too, so we can't really be a xeriscape.
Ah well nothing's perfect.

Cyndi