Re: wild weather
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: wild weather
  • From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 16:22:52 EST

The worst of the bad weather went south of us, and all we had was
about five inches of fluffy snow.  Then freezing rain was predicted,
but it rained rather heavily yesterday but stayed above freezing, thank
goodness.  Now most of the snow is gone, but the strangest thing
happened.  When we got up at 5:00 to go to early church this morning
(Chet had to be there early to open up for the visiting priest) the
temperature was 55 degrees!  By the time we left for church at 7:00
it had dropped to 44 degrees. The sun came out, and it has been a
beautiful, sunny day - so rare this year - and has held in the mid-40s
all day.  But tonight snow showers are predicted, and tomorrow it is
predicted to fall into the teens.  Brrrr.  The worst part of it is that the
snow is now all gone, so that when the temperature drops there will
be no snow insulation for plants.  It always seems to me that when
we have very cold weather with open ground, plants suffer more than
when there is a snow cover.  And as I was out picking up sticks for
kindling I disturbed a pile of leaf mulch and discovered daffodils up
about an inch.  Not good.  Oh well, they're tough.  I tried to drive
myself out to spray for deer since the temperatures were above 40
degrees, but somehow just couldn't get up the energy. Not much
left for them to eat anyhow.
Auralie

In a message dated 12/24/2009 2:05:48 PM Eastern Standard Time,