Leafing through catalogs
  • Subject: Leafing through catalogs
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 14:27:05 -0800

I'm looking through my catalogs. I haven't gotten as many as I'd like,
but then I haven't bought that much in the past couple years and a lot
of them are going online only, so it's not surprising. I may yet end up
with a laptop just so I can take it into the greenhouse for my winter
catalog viewing.
I was looking at Burpee's catalogs and noticed how all their vegetables
are "sweet". You expect that is a selling point in corn I guess but now
tomatoes, peas, beans, squash, peppers...almost every variety has some
ad copy describing how sweet it is. I should see if all the others have
the same type of descriptions.
I'm finally out of row cover so I'll replenish my supply, and I need to
buy tomato protector thingys too. I planned out the veggie garden for
next year, have to talk husband into rototilling in the next few weeks.
I can't start it, and I always get the tiller bogged down somewhere when
I try it myself. Last year I didn't bother tilling but this year I'm
going to plant in another area that's been fallow for about 2 years, it
will need it.
This year's plan is tomatoes, corn, green beans, summer squash,
cucumbers, melons, lettuce & spinach, peas, and peppers. Maybe onions.
I'm also going to do some annuals for the front yard - basics like
sunflowers, zinnias, marigolds and cosmos. I saw some ornamental millet
I thought was pretty too.
The plans are always fun but the hard part will be finding the time to
do all the gardening plus the horses. I keep thinking how I can be more
efficient but I have yet to put it into practice.