New or Tried and True?
  • Subject: New or Tried and True?
  • From: "Daryl" <dp2413@comcast.net>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 11:20:00 -0500

I was reading a trade article and the interviewee was asked what he thought of
some of the new perennials. He replied, " Coreopsis 'Crhme Brulee,' and
'Limerock Ruby': These were hot, hot plants five years ago. Everybody had to
have them. Now, they're like the lepers of the perennial community."

I like that phrase, "the lepers of the perennial community." It fits. The only
thing good about some plants, like 'Limerock Ruby', is that they make way for
something else to kill.

I've seen so many plants come and go in my previous hort-head life that I now
prefer to grow the tried and true. If they're newer plants, I want them tested
in my climate. I don't care whether a plant does great in Chicago. I want it
tested at UGA. Even though UGA is a bit warmer in winter than my area, and the
soil is better, and there are plenty of garden slaves (hort students) to take
care of the beds and to weed and water, at least it's humid - with hideously
hot days and many hot nights. If a plant thrives there, it's likely to survive
in my garden.

What do you think? Are you still wanting plants that are on the cutting edge,
or do you prefer to save the money and the aggravation?

Visit the Gardening Forum Home Page to see what's new.