Re: New or Tried and True?
  • Subject: Re: New or Tried and True?
  • From: "Daryl" <dp2413@comcast.net>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 12:06:28 -0500

I found that the Chicago-bred coneflowers never went dormant for me, and were then killed when the temps dropped abruptly into the teens, as they do here. Are you trying them, or Saul's? Saul's seem to do better here - probably because they're breeding and growing them here in the HHH south.

I was working Customer Service for Van Bloem's during the 'Limerock Ruby' fiasco. I can't tell you how much we refunded on that one the year we carried it. It quickly left the catalog, as you can imagine. I'd gotten a sample at a GWA meet the year before. Too bad nobody asked me. :-(

One nice thing about being a member of the Garden Writer's Association is getting plant samples before they hit the catalogs. I've found some things that I absolutely rave about to my readers, but then there are those that are absolute duds in my climate, like the CBG coneflowers. Sometimes I'm so entranced by a plant that I've purchased additional plants the next year, or two or three if the sample fails, but I'm learning now to trust my instincts rather than to waste money. And frankly, if it doesn't like our climate, my readers aren't going to be able to grow it, either.

----- Original Message ----- From: "andreah" <andreah@hargray.com>