Re: New or Tried and True?
  • Subject: Re: New or Tried and True?
  • From: "Daryl" <dp2413@comcast.net>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 09:03:49 -0500

I used to be that way, Gene, but age and arthritis have me longing for things that I don't have to fuss over or replace. Digging in this sorry clay is no fun anymore. I tried to prolong my enthusiasm for a long time by planting on mounds of landscaper's mix (the yard looks like I've buried a dozen horses) but even that has lost its appeal. I've converted 100+ feet of perennial border into flowering trees and shrubs, and 100+ of Roses likewise.

That's not to say that I don't drool over a lot of things, but I don't lust after them like I used to. And when I'm selecting plants for my clients, I want them to be happy. That means tried and true. If they're beginning hort heads, I'll steer them in the direction of plants with a good provenance match and let 'em have at it, but I always give them a good backbone of strong, worthy plants.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene Bush" <genebush@netsurfusa.net>