Re: Tree question
  • Subject: Re: Tree question
  • From: "Daryl" <dp2413@comcast.net>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 12:02:59 -0500

Leaves hanging on a tree can indicate that the tree didn't have enough energy to produce abscission tissue, and that's a bad sign. BUT - it can also be that the leaves got frozen while they were still green, and that doesn't necessarily mean trouble, though of course some energy was lost.

In case you're wondering, dogwoods and other trees have their own schedule for leaf drop, with seedlings from the same parent growing in close proximity to one another turning color and shedding at different rates. Even clones planted some feet apart can be affected by microclimate, of course.