Re: Merry Christmas/Happy New Year
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: Merry Christmas/Happy New Year
  • From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 16:22:47 -0500 (EST)

Bonnie, you remind me of my paternal grandmother (not the one who
raised me.)  She was an ardent quilter, and had made a quilt for each
of the grandchildren born before she died - 21 at that point.  Since I was
the first child of the oldest son, I was supposed to be a boy.  That I was
not, was only one of the strikes against me.  The quilt she had prepared
was a sunbonnet boy applique.  Do you know that pattern?  It has my name
quilted into the border.  She made sunbonnet girls for her other
granddaughters,
but I should have been a boy - oldest sons always had boys first.

This grandmother had a quilt frame that hung from the ceiling of her
bedroom and could be let down by pulleys so that she could work on her
quilt at any time.  Another quilt that I remember seeing was a complete
color wheel made up of two-inch by one-inch diamonds.  She was very
proud of having been able to locate all the colors and shadings.

I also have a quilt that had been made by a previous ancestor - not just
sure
which one - from cotton grown and milled and woven on the plantation.  It is
a "wheel of fortune" pattern and was originally black, white and red, of
course
dyed with natural dyes.  The white has yellowed, and the black has turned
green, but the red is still  bright.  I wish I knew what plant dye was used.

Have a good quilting year in 2012.
Auralie