Re: Mushroom compost

Well, Lynda, I have, personally, not used it, but have read posts
from those who have.  Consensus, FWIW, appears to be:

1) you need to be careful of the source - make sure it's reputable
and try to find out what was used to create the compost in the first
place and make sure it's not full of trash items - think someone
found some old jeans in one lot..

2) plants grow very well in soil amended with it, at least the first
few years, but can develop problems over time because of the very
high salts content due to the make up of what is used - lots of
manure.  One poster had it from a horticulturist at the local
cemetery that you should have it sent out for testing before you use
it to make sure it's not too high in salts content.

3) it is generally quite alkaline in pH

4) some have noted that it's often sold off before its truly spent -
one person had the pile smoking for most of the summer and sometimes
the mushroom spawn is still active - so guess you could harvest some
'shrooms as well as feed your soil:-)

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade