From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of Melody
Sent: Monday, February 03, 2003 5:09 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: RE: [CHAT] Shuttle OT

Lynda: I saw an interview this morning on Good Morning America with the
wife of the Challenger's commander who died all those years ago...she is
counseling the families of the Columbia and is in daily contact with
them all...it was amazing how all the family members who were
interviewed keep coming back to the same point...these astronauts are
all incredibly dedicated US citizens who gladly serve in such a
dangerous occupation because they believe the price of the knowledge
that has been given to the human race by space exploration is worth
it...When one stops to consider all of the remarkable things that have
become common place technology that were pioneered by NASA and the
astronauts--microwaves, digital communications, computerization
technology, teflon, kevlar which is the stuff police vests are made
of--the list is endless, then one begins to get a sense of the awesome
sacrifice that these folks and their families make. Interestingly
enough, I heard that Buzz Aldrin has said that even given the recent
tragedy of the Columbia, he would give just about anything to go back to
space one more time. Wish I could go with him!!!

Melody, IA (Z 5/4)

--Albert Einstein