Re: question on Elm tree name

pdickson@nts-online.net writes:

> I just got a call from a friend that is taking her Master Garden quiz and
> the bonus question has us puzzled.  I hope some of you will know the
> answer.
> What is the scientific name for the Drunken Poet Elm?
> thanks in advance,

Don't exactly know but it is worth taking a look at the Camperdown Elm which
is associated with a poets walk.  It is Ulmus glabra var. Camperdownii.  This
is a very nice and pricey tree used in the US and well known in our area.

Camperdown Elm is one that grows downward, toward the ground making a form
not commonly seen in garden trees.  It is sterile and, I believe, grafted to
a normal rootstock.

Worth a try.

Claire Peplowski
NYS z4