From: Chris <chris@widom-assoc.com>
Sent: 02/07/03 10:42 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: RE: [CHAT] renaming plants

> This double name problem (at least I see it as a problem) has come up on
my daylily robin.  For those of us who may wish to show a plant or
hybridize, knowing the registered name is important.  For instance, a
person may only show daylilies registered with the American Hemerocallis
Society in AHS sanctioned shows.  The society and it's members try to
keep records of the 47,000 + daylilies that are registered.  I try to
know and grow only named varieties these days, but I have older
varieties that I don't have the names for anymore.  When I buy a daylily
being marketed as a new award winner, only to find out that it is
actually an older variety, it makes for a lot of confusion.  There's a
daylily out there called STARBURST  which is actually 'Jen Melon'.  I
have a few of the Trophymaker Series that I haven't found out the actual
names for the daylilies as of yet.  Having numerous names floating
around for the same plant is annoying for the collector.

Long Island, NY
Zone 7