Re: renaming plants

In a message dated 2/7/03 11:13:55 AM Eastern Standard Time,
kmrsy@earthlink.net writes:

> really Hylotelephium 'Herbstfreude'. This particular example is a
> combination problem of a taxonomy change and a marketing change.

Here is another taxonomy change coming if our catalogs and nurseries will
accept it.  The common and pretty container plant, Coleus blumei, is
taxonomically correct as
Solenostemon scutellaroides.  Perhaps a rebellion will stop this, Coleus is
so integrated into the gardening world.  Sometime ago the Chrysanthemum tribe
was split into several other genera with Chrysanthemum disappearing.  Now it
is back where it was or approximately so.

The cultivar names are another nightmare encouraging plant patents, another
whole can of worms.   The era of the gentlemen's agreement seems to be over.
The head only holds so much information with DNA analysis threatening to
upset everything we think we know.  Plant keys using fruit and flower to ID
species may leave horticulture and an entire new system will be learned. Now
there is a headache.

Claire Peplowski
NYS z4