Re: renaming plants

In a message dated 2/7/03 11:31:57 PM Eastern Standard Time,
kmrsy@earthlink.net writes:

> I thought the Coleus to Solenostemon change occurred long b4 the
> Chrysanthemum obliteration.

Kitty- Accepted in Europe but rarely seen here.  I don't think I have ever
purchased a Coleus labeled SS in a local nursery.  Maybe seen elsewhere in
the country but sold in all catalogs as Coleus.  Coleus, common for a hundred
years more or less and won't disappear easily.  I do agree with Latinate form
but have ended comment on the subject.  Either folks agree or they don't
agree.  Sometimes you cannot sell a plant called Pelargonium when a buyer
wants a geranium, a Hippeastrum when a buyer wants an Amaryllis so the system
tries but is not perfect.  My husband's family operate a nursery and standing
outdoors with a customer on a busy day in spring, a Coleus is a Coleus.  Most
gardeners as they gain experience learn Latinate form and as you go on you
often find it a fascinating subject.  Though, not all will agree.

Claire Peplowski
NYS z4