From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of ECPep@aol.com
Sent: Friday, February 07, 2003 11:56 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] renaming plants

In a message dated 2/7/03 11:31:57 PM Eastern Standard Time,
kmrsy@earthlink.net writes:

> I thought the Coleus to Solenostemon change occurred long b4 the
> Chrysanthemum obliteration.

Kitty- Accepted in Europe but rarely seen here.  I don't think I have
purchased a Coleus labeled SS in a local nursery.  Maybe seen elsewhere
the country but sold in all catalogs as Coleus.  Coleus, common for a
years more or less and won't disappear easily.  I do agree with Latinate
but have ended comment on the subject.  Either folks agree or they don't

agree.  Sometimes you cannot sell a plant called Pelargonium when a
wants a geranium, a Hippeastrum when a buyer wants an Amaryllis so the
tries but is not perfect.  My husband's family operate a nursery and
outdoors with a customer on a busy day in spring, a Coleus is a Coleus.
gardeners as they gain experience learn Latinate form and as you go on
often find it a fascinating subject.  Though, not all will agree.

Claire Peplowski
NYS z4