Re: USDA wordson the soil's glue

From Jim:
> I hope that's a rhetorical question :-).Do you actually apply
> 'humic acid' rather than dig in compost, etc ?

Well, actually, I have.  Not recently, but I did buy some about yrs ago.

Humic acid is sold in qts, gals and 5 gals by Nitron.  They suggest that it
aids in soil enrichment by increasing bacterial action and by increasing
the efficiency of fertilizers as well as buffering plants against
fertilizer salt damage.  Their information was quoted from Clemson U
studies.  They suggest its use in flower gardens, lawns, vegetables grown
in sandy soils. They recommend 1 qt for 2500 sq ft.

My compost bin is better labeled a leaf mold bin.  I don't have enough of
anything else to put in it.  I can buy compost, but humic acid is cheaper,
easier, takes up less storage space.  I realize it does not give ALL the
benifits that compost has, but it is useful.  Or I thought it was until I
read the glomalin articles.

Kitty