Re: USDA wordson the soil's glue

chris@widom-assoc.com writes:

> gardeners?  Like instead of applying Humic Acid, I might be purchasing a
> gallon of glomalin?

Just wondering.  The tilth of the soil, the water retention stasis or the
opposite, the pH, numerous other accessory factors?  A good gardener will
find a way to grow.   Gardeners, their hierarchal form called
horticulturists, may have a busy life to which the pleasure of a garden will
need to come in stages. Chemistry may be a bit much for some initially.  When
a problem arises, a solution is sought.  Beyond that will come in time.

Some of our gardeners have small children, a job, a mortgage, older parents,
continuing education (teachers and nurses for instance) and some personal
life.  A few plants light an interest and if a complete devotion to the
requirements of degree is not possible, the garden should not be put away.  I
would not ask any amateur in any field of science field ( all I know) to
change hats.  I don't want to be a lawyer.   BTW,  amateurs have been
responsible for many new introductions, for improvements in species, many
areas of horticulture.  How 'Bout the famed Russell lupines, the creation of
a mailman.

This is most definitely not to denigrate continuing learning but rather to
encourage it.  I can read a chemistry abstract but I will damned if I will in
place of day in the gardens.

Claire Peplowski
NYS z4