Re: Syringia 'blue skies

Re the Descano Lilacs -
Horticulture mag just arrived and this is addressed in their Q&A section (paraphrased):
Q:How far south can lilacs be grown?
A: Leu Gardens in Orlando, Z9 has tried a number of lilac cultivars unsuccessfully. including the CA-bred Descanos. These were bred specifically to thrive in the dry, hot environment of southern CA. LA county shares the same hardiness zone, but there the lilacs experience lower night temps. The Descanos planted in the southeast have been short-lived and highly susceptible to powdery mildew.
Gardeners in Z8, however, can try growing the Japanese tree lilac, Syringa reticulata 'Ivory Silk', Peking Lilac, S. reticulata ssp pekinensis, Cutleaf Lilac, S. x laciniata, early flwring lilac, S. x hyacinthiflora, and S. pubescens ssp. patula 'Miss Kim'.
Another possibility is 'Betsy Ross', a recent Natl Arboretum release. This white, early-flwrg lilac has the characteristics of French lilacs with the added bonus of heat tolerance from one of the parents, S oblata var. donaldii. Dr. Margaret Pooler, at the NA, hopes to release 1 or2 other heat-tolerant varieties in the nxt several yrs.

Kitty

Kitty Morrissy wrote:
Andrea, I looked for both 'Blue Skies' and 'Monroe' and found it, but not for less
money. However, Forest Farm carries Descano Hybrid Warm Winter Lilacs in
white, pink, and lilac. Tubes are $6.95, gallons $9.00. Their shipping
costs can be rough, but it might be worth looking into.
Kitty

[Original Message]
From: Andrea H <hodgesaa@islc.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Date: 2/9/2003 10:15:45 PM
Subject: [CHAT] Syringia 'blue skies

has anyone out of the normal zones tried this lilac? Wayside gardens says
it's

hardy zones 4-9 and tolerates heat and humidity and doesn't require the
chilling hours to set buds that other lilac do. my brother-in law wants
to try

one and so do I but we don't want to spend $25 on a gallon pot if they are
going to croak.

Andrea H
Beaufort, SC
Zone 8b