Re: Re: Descanso Lilacas

that's interesting, tony. my father and manchester were friends at one time, but i didn't know he was involved with descanso.

At 08:00 PM 2/10/03 -0800, you wrote:
The Descanso Lilac you're discussing is " Lavender Lady". I worked for
Descanso Nursery in the early 50's when the lilac was released. It was
patented & they got 15.00 for 2 gal can wholesale.
We grew 1000's & they sold like "hot cakes" in S. Cal. Many cold climate
people were migrating & they wanted something that reminded them of "
home". I grew azaleas / camellias for them. the Descanso Gardens in La
Canada, east of Pasadena near the foothills. It was started by Manchester
Boddy, who ran the LA. Daily News.
his son, Bob ran the nursery. He was quite an innovator for new ideas for
the retail trade. He started flocking Pineas Pinea's & decorating Hollies
for CHRISTmas. The nursery moved to Fort Bragg, Calif just inland from
the Mendecino coast in the Redwoods & got into Rhodies,  skimmia,
Leucothe & Oregon Grape. I believe it's still there.

Tony Veca <><
Another Gr888 Day in Paradise !!!!!
Vancouver, WA