Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 08:27:48 -0800
From: "U.S. Senator Barbara Boxer" <bulletinfeedback@boxer.senate.gov>
Subject: Sen. Boxer Works to Kill Anti-Environmental Riders
To: "dfranzma@pacbell.net" <dfranzma@pacbell.net>

I thought you would be interested in the following message.

Dear Friend:

In the giant appropriations bill that is being finalized in a
House-Senate conference committee, there are calls to add a provision
that would greatly expand logging on public lands. I have written to the
House and Senate conferees and asked that they not turn their back on a
great American value - protecting our national forests.

One rider would authorize an unlimited number of private logging
projects on federal lands while removing oversight by the Forest Service
and Bureau of Land Management (BLM). In California alone, this rider
could allow for the logging of ten million acres of our more than twenty
million acres of national forests, including proposed wilderness areas,
along with logging in BLM lands.

Other riders would vastly expand logging in the nation's two largest
national forests - Tongass and Chugach in Alaska - while removing public
and judicial review of logging projects.

This is a dangerous back-door attempt to bypass the public, states and
localities and to stop our citizens from going to court to protest these
destructive riders. This is wrong. Judicial and public oversight are an
intrinsic part of the process of environmental decision-making.

If these provisions are not removed in conference, I may take the fight
to the Senate floor if necessary. I would be happy to hear from you
regarding this or any other federal matter. One good way to contact me
is through my Senate website by sending a message at

    http://boxer.senate.gov/contact/webform.cfm.

Sincerely,

Barbara Boxer
United States Senator

For more information on Senator Boxer's environmental record and other information, please go to:  http://boxer.senate.gov

If you would like to make a comment regarding this or any other federal
matter, please feel free to fill out my web form at

    http://boxer.senate.gov/contact/webform.cfm

If this message reached you in error, or if you would like to cancel
your subscription, please reply to this message with unsubscribe in the
subject line.

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of dfranzma.vcf]