Re: war & oil was: Fwd: Price of Gas; Now Duct Tape

  • To: gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: [CHAT] war & oil was: Fwd: Price of Gas; Now Duct Tape
  • From: "Marge Talt" mtalt@hort.net
  • Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 02:27:08 -0500

Of course people will do this, David.  People have worked themselves
up into war mode over the centuries for even more idiotic reasons.

Now, I have always held the theory (sure to offend someone) -
speaking of modern societies here - that if the generals and
commanders in chief had to lead the actual battle on foot and then
eat the resulting dead raw, we'd have an end to modern war in a very
short time.   But, since those guys stay at home (or at command
center; far from the real action) in comfy chairs, allocating
'resources' and playing with their toys, while the youth of nations
get blasted away, they will continue to think that war is a viable
solution to whatever mess they have gotten into at the moment.  And,
another theory I've held for some time is that if you give the boys
the toys (apologies to all the males on this list) , they will want
to play with them someday....we keep on making weapons; also a very
big business; we sell them around the world.  We cannot be surprised,
then, when they get used.

I agree, David, the bottom line here is oil.  And, I agree that there
are just too many vested interests in keeping the status quo, no
matter what the impact on the planet down the road.  Follow the
money....it leads to the real reason for the rationally and morally
inexplicable every time.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :

> From: David Franzman <dfranzma@pacbell.net>
> Yeah I spoke too soon yesterday.  I paid $1.89 for regular today.
In the city
> it's now closer to $2.20.  You know if I thought that some of that
money was
> going into research for alternative fuels I wouldn't mind it so
much.  But, it's
> not!
> Now tell me:  Would people sacrifice their young men and women and
> innocent civilians to fight a war over a dwindling resource that
poisons the
> earth?  People would!  (Supposed to sound like the old Chevron
>  Eva and others near potential ground zero if it wasn't for the oil
and our
> insatiable appetite for same, those ladies and gentlemen who are
willing to kill
> off their own for retribution against us wouldn't have a cause.
Not only would