Re: crop rotation advise needed.

I had a Japanese maple that died of verticillium wilt. Will never plant a maple in that location again. I suspect that attempting to rid the soil of the organism would be an exercise in futility. How big is your garden? Can you do tomatoes and their relatives anywhere else? If not, investigate resistant tomatoes. My problem with solarizing is the length of time required. It is my understanding that you would probably have to spend a growing season doing it to be effective. As for alternative crops, if you are not sure which you have, lettuce and carrots are the only vegetables resistant to both.
Cathy