Re: aftermath was: war

> From: Cornergar@aol.com
>We lived in Europe in' 52 and altho' Germany was
> rebuilding France still looked like a war zone even that many years

> later.Kathyz5

I was there, then, too, Kathy and you are right.  A total difference
in outlook.  We lived in Orleans at the time and the cathedral, which
has two towers, had one of them badly damaged by a bomb and it was
under reconstruction the whole time we were there.  I remember my Mom
asked one of the men (there were 2 of them - father and son) who were
doing the rebuilding about this and their attitude was  that if they
didn't get it finished, someone after them would:-)  They did,
eventually, as I have seen photos of them from the 80's and they are
whole again, but I have no idea how long it actually took.

OTOH, from total rubble as far as the eye could see in '48, by '52
many German cities had been just about totally rebuilt...

Not that the French weren't doing any rebuilding; in '50 we lived in
a brand new house built on a bomb site, but the lots across the
street and next to us were still blasted out bomb sites - remember my
brother found some live grenades while playing over there and brought
them home, which caused a certain amount of stir in the family:-)

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :