Re: birds and other critters

David, I have never lived in the west, but visit my son in Colorado often.  I
love the great open spaces and the desert and mountains, but could never live
there - I need green and at least some contact with the ocean (we are only 30
miles up the Hudson from the ocean - and only a few miles from the river).
My son has lots of wildlife in Colorado - mule deer sleep in his flower beds
(what's left of them) and coyotes took one of his cats.  There are lots of
birds at their feeder, but not as many as at ours.
Here in New York  we have many, many birds and quite a lot of other wildlife
such as squirrels, chipmunks, muskrats, voles, rabbits, deer, coyotes,
skunks, opossums, an occasional fox, and a few others I am sure I have
forgotten - all of these in our backyard.  When we have visited in the west,
I miss the green more than the wildlife - we have  "birded" throughout the
southwest, and seen lots of wildlife everywhere we have been.  Auralie