Re: birds and other critters

I don't know about 'more', but the wildlife in CA is different from
the wildlife in more eastern states.  Could be he lived under a fly
through path or something:-)  I lived in SF when I lived in CA, so
there weren't as many birds as I have in a suburban woodland here,
but my MIL lived in Walnut Hills and then LeisureWorld not far from
there and I recall there were deer (mule, I think as opposed to white
tail), coyotes and quail (something I never see here) around her
place.  I would imagine (without doing a search) that the numbers of
species of wildlife are comparable, but possibly that some of yours
are not as visible in backyards as some of ours....now, as to birds,
I do not know.  What birds come to your feeders or do you see around
your place?

Another thought is the type of terrain where you are.  Eastern parts
(and some parts of the midwest) are pretty heavily wooded.  More open
territory (the golden hills of CA, for instance) might not offer the
variety of nesting sites that more wooded territory does.  Tho' seems
to me when I ventured up the coast, we went through a lot of woodland
areas...been about 35 years, so things may have changed:-)

And, where does this fella live?  Is it in an urban place; wooded
place; open hills and scrub or what?  Where you are more or less
determines what kinds of wild critters are going to live near you.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :