Re: birds and other critters

Could be that, too, David:-)  Having not lived in the midwest for
about 50 years, I can't recall what birds were there.  I have the
following here that I have actually seen to ID:

year around; come to feeder:
downy woodpecker
common flicker
cardinal
black-capped chickadee
tufted titmouse
blue jay (different from the kind you have in CA)
house sparrow
assorted song sparrows
starlings (don't come much anymore)
common crow
mourning doves (more in summer than in winter)

seasonal - come to feeder:
white breasted nuthatch
American goldfinch
house finch
dark-eyed junco
ruby throated humming bird (the only kind we get here)
common grackle
rose breasted grosbeak (rare)
brown-headed cowbird (a species responsible for the reduction in
numbers of many songbirds)

seasonal - don't come to feeder:
American robin
roufous-sided towhee
mockingbird
grey cat-bird
eastern phoebe
Carolina wren
house wren
wood thrush
red-eyed verio
black and white warbler
blue-gray gnatcatcher
orange crowned warbler
cedar waxwing (rare)
and, I think, chimney swift tho' I've yet to actually see this bird;
it returns to nest in one of our chimneys every year.

permanent residents - don't come to feeder:
barred owl
pileated woodpecker
red shouldered hawk
turkey vulture

I will say this, tho'.... when I first moved here in '77, there were
more birds than there are now.  Used to have flocks of cardinals in
residence; like as many as 20 pairs; now we have maybe 6 or 8 pairs.
Their morning songs were so loud that there was no way you were gonna
sleep in during spring and early summer.  I think this is due to the
considerable development here over the years as well as the
destruction of habitat for those who winter in South America and
other far away places.  The breaking up of contiguous woodlands
through development has destroyed habitat for so many species.

Now, if you start adding up your coastal birds and other wildlife,
you're gonna have a much longer list than I do!

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635

> From: David Franzman <dfranzma@pacbell.net>
>
> Marge, I kind of accused him of not being very observant.  We have
many
> different types of birds, several species of finch, sparrows, many
> raptors three resident types of hummingbirds, jays and I would
think one
> big difference is that we have many of them 365 days of the year.
Of