From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net]On
Behalf Of cathy carpenter
Sent: Sunday, February 16, 2003 12:30 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] crop rotation advise needed.

I had a Japanese maple that died of verticillium wilt. Will never plant
a maple in that location again. I suspect that attempting to rid the
soil of the organism would be an exercise in futility. How big is your
garden? Can you do tomatoes and their relatives anywhere else? If not,
investigate resistant tomatoes. My problem with solarizing is the length
of time required. It is my understanding that you would probably have to
spend a growing season doing it to be effective. As for alternative
crops, if you are not sure which you have, lettuce and carrots are the
only vegetables resistant to both.
  Cathy