Re: birds and other critters

David, I suspect that is not really the case.  Did you ever look at one of
the nature guides, like the Audubon Society "Deserts."  The number of pages
for insects is impressive.  Also, the Western Bird guides are at least as fat
as the Eastern ones.  This might hold true for the southeast, but consider
that in our area we depend on cold winters to kill off all kinds of unwanted
insects - that's been a problem of the past few mild ones.  This winter when
the temperatures have not been above freezing for weeks and the ground has
been snow-covered since right after Thanksgiving, we have swarms of birds
that are surely not living on insects. Of course our feeders help, but there
is, for instance, an enormous flock of crows - must be more than 50 - that
gather in the woods near us but never come to the feeder (thank goodness.)
As for the multitude of species, I just compared the Stokes Field Guides -
the Eastern region runs to 469 pages, while the Western region has 518.  Just
my observations - I am certainly no expert on the subject.  Auralie