Re: birds and other critters

Marge, I think it's fascinating to see how closely your birdlist approximates
mine even though we're several hundred miles north of you.

In a message dated 02/17/2003 12:01:08 AM Eastern Standard Time,
mtalt@hort.net writes:

> year around; come to feeder:                   My list
> downy woodpecker                               x
> common flicker                          used to have, but haven't seen in a
few years
> cardinal                                          x
> black-capped chickadee                           x
> tufted titmouse                                      x
> blue jay (different from the kind you have in CA)  x
> house sparrow                  see them in grocery store parking lot, but
> not my yard
> assorted song sparrows                            x
> starlings (don't come much anymore)             x  unfortunately we have
> many
> common crow                                     x   large flock
> mourning doves (more in summer than in winter)  x  seem to be a permanent
> flock
>                                               White-breasted nuthatch
                                             Carolina Wren
                                             Red-bellied woodpecker
                                                 Goldfinch

> seasonal - come to feeder:
> white breasted nuthatch                       here all year
> American goldfinch                              here all year
> house finch                                     not as many as we used to
> have
> dark-eyed junco                               winter
> ruby throated humming bird (the only kind we get here) summer
> common grackle                            x
> rose breasted grosbeak (rare)                    x
> brown-headed cowbird (a species responsible for the reduction in
> numbers of many songbirds)
>
> seasonal - don't come to feeder:
> American robin                                x
> roufous-sided towhee             one has been coming to my feeder all
> winter
> mockingbird
> grey cat-bird                                   x
> eastern phoebe                            x
> Carolina wren                          here all year
> house wren                                   x
> wood thrush
> red-eyed verio
> black and white warbler
> blue-gray gnatcatcher
> orange crowned warbler
> cedar waxwing (rare)
                                        red-wing blackbird
                                        belted kingfisher
                                          mallards
                                        great blue heron (occasional -3-4
times/year)

> and, I think, chimney swift tho' I've yet to actually see this bird;
> it returns to nest in one of our chimneys every year.
>
> permanent residents - don't come to feeder:
> barred owl                                x
> pileated woodpecker                         x
> red shouldered hawk
> turkey vulture                                  x
>                                               red-tailed hawk

Years ago we used to have scarlet tanagers, but we cut down the mulberry tree
and the tanagers don't come any more.  I have seen them a few times elsewhere
in the area.  We also used to have orioles and evening grosbeaks, but haven't
seen either of them in years.               Auralie