From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Island Jim
Sent: Monday, February 17, 2003 5:37 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] skunks

i had a friend in my youth. curtis zahn. poet, short story writer, one-time
editor with holiday magazine, but most of all, a pacifist who was
black-balled by mccarthy. curtis owned a house on the beach at malibu. if
you know the area, you know the houses kind of hang on a cliff--road above,
sand and sea below. curtis left the sliding glass door between his living
room and his deck open one evening while entertaining a guest elsewhere in
the house. a skunk entered. that is, a pregnant skunk entered. and whelped
[if that's the right word]. six or eight kits, i forget which.

curtis said it took nearly 3 months to get mom skunk and all skunk kits
outside at the same time without, that is, an intervening accident, so he
could shut the door.

all this happened some years before i got to know him. but whenever i
visited him, skunks would assemble on his deck once the sun set and wait
patiently until he fed them.

i have never known anyone, before or since, quite as gentle as curtis. i
have no idea how he could have been an editor!