Re: birds and other critters

That is remarkable, Auralie.  You must have some open fields and
water near you to have red-wing blackbirds, kingfishers, mallards and
heron.  I get a flock of Canada geese flying over every evening on
their way to the Potomac River, but can't claim them as they never
land here:-)  I've never seen a scarlet tanager; lucky you!

When we first built here and things were a tad more open, we had a
few red-wings, but they don't like woods, so don't come now. The
mocking birds aren't as numerous as they were for the same
reason...they like more open areas best; actually, same with the
starlings.  Used to have a resident family, but only see them in
flocks in winter now when snow covers everything as they like grassy
areas to hunt in.  I have seen red tailed hawks, but not on the
property...we seem to have a resident pair of red-shouldered hawks as
they are seen pretty regularly sitting in trees looking down for
rodents (they can have all they want...I encourage them...'catch
voles...catch voles'...all I can:-))  Not so thrilled when they
decide to hunt at the feeders!  But they are magnificent birds.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635

----------
> From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
>
> Marge, I think it's fascinating to see how closely your birdlist
approximates
> mine even though we're several hundred miles north of you.
>
> In a message dated 02/17/2003 12:01:08 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> mtalt@hort.net writes:
>
> > year around; come to feeder:                   My list
> > downy woodpecker                               x
> > common flicker                          used to have, but haven't
seen in a
> few years
> > cardinal                                          x
> > black-capped chickadee                           x
> > tufted titmouse                                      x
> > blue jay (different from the kind you have in CA)  x
> > house sparrow                  see them in grocery store parking
lot, but
> > not my yard
> > assorted song sparrows                            x
> > starlings (don't come much anymore)             x  unfortunately
we have
> > many
> > common crow                                     x   large flock
> > mourning doves (more in summer than in winter)  x  seem to be a
permanent
> > flock
> >                                               White-breasted
nuthatch
>                                              Carolina Wren
>                                              Red-bellied woodpecker

>                                                  Goldfinch
>
> > seasonal - come to feeder:
> > white breasted nuthatch                       here all year
> > American goldfinch                              here all year

> > house finch                                     not as many as we
used to
> > have
> > dark-eyed junco                               winter
> > ruby throated humming bird (the only kind we get here) summer
> > common grackle                            x
> > rose breasted grosbeak (rare)                    x
> > brown-headed cowbird (a species responsible for the reduction in
> > numbers of many songbirds)
> >
> > seasonal - don't come to feeder:
> > American robin                                x
> > roufous-sided towhee             one has been coming to my feeder
all
> > winter
> > mockingbird
> > grey cat-bird                                   x
> > eastern phoebe                            x
> > Carolina wren                          here all year
> > house wren                                   x
> > wood thrush
> > red-eyed verio
> > black and white warbler
> > blue-gray gnatcatcher