Re: birds and other critters

Naw, Libby...have enough starlings right now, but thanks:-)  I have
never seen an indigo bunting...how neat.  You also must be near some
water to get herons.

Your point about types of birds is very good.  Some on my list you
hear but seldom see and I am sure that other places in this country
have birds that simply don't come around feeders or gardens, but stay
hidden in woody areas or live on high cliffs or something.  This is
such a vast country with so many different types of climate and
native ecosystems that the bird populations (as well as other
critters) have got to be significantly different.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635

----------
> From: Libby Valentine <LVALENTINE@WORKINGCONCEPTS.COM>
>
> My brother now lives in Tacoma WA and when he was out here visiting
last
> spring we sat for a while on the grass in the yard, and he
commented on all
> the activity my feeders got, and how much bird chatter there was -
said it
> was like being in an aviary!  Now they have birds there, but maybe
not so
> many of the social (flocking/small group) tweety birds, so they
aren't so
> noticeable if you're not looking for them?
>
> Marge, I thought your list was excellent for MD birds - a couple we
have
> here to add to it would be the great blue heron and the Baltimore
oriole,
> and sharp-shinned and red-tailed hawks, and turkey vultures.  Also
we had an
> indigo bunting (once...).  P.S. Your starlings are up here now...
want them