Re: Duct Tape

Jim: Just FYI, our largely liberal, college community just held it's
third prayer vigil (all well attended I might add) of the week to pray
for peace and also to pray that the various world leaders will receive
divine guidance in finding peaceable resolutions to these extremely
complicated and intricate issues facing the world today. IMHO, as
Americans, who by and large live the comparatively wealthiest lives of
any persons on the face of the earth today, we should be asking
ourselves what are the driving factors that would lead a person/group to
the desperation of embracing an ideology of violence and terrorism and
what can we, as a nation and as individuals do to ameliorate those
factors? And I do not mean to merely speculate about what we can be
doing to nullify the influences of poverty, starvation, illiteracy,
abuse, etc... but what can we actually get off our behinds and DO? We as
a nation of incredibly diverse and talented peoples should be willing to
put our monies and our resources of time, energy, knowledge, experience,
etc. where our mouths are instead of putting more violence into the
world. When we can give a viable alternative of peace and hope to a
young, 20 something would be terrorist lured by the promises made by
ideologic fanatics rather than face a life that he/she perceives to be
filled with little hope for the future, then I believe we will be on the
road to changing the world for better. Okay...I know this is a few days
late but sorry...I've been on vacation and am just catching up so I'll
get off my soapbox now...Thanks!

Melody, IA (Z 5/4)

--Albert Einstein