Re: chippers was: birds and other critters

In a message dated 02/17/2003 10:49:06 PM Eastern Standard Time,
mtalt@hort.net writes:

> .  Not the world's brightest critters; have had
> them run straight over my foot a few times.

That's putting it mildly.  The ones here will sit on a rock and yell at our
old cat (the only one who goes outside - really fat and lazy) until he
finally goes for it.  Then, when caught, they go limp like dead. When the cat
puts the chippy down, it is off like a flash, only to stop and yell "NYEH,
NYEH!" at the cat as soon as it thinks it is out of reach.
My whole back bank is a warren, and the entire back lawn (that's a polite
term for weed patch) is full of holes.  The same cat (not much brighter than
the chipmunk) will sit by one of the holes for half an hour or more until the
chippie comes up out of another and yells at him.  Maybe this is the way they
both get their jollies.